Honestly, Freya is going to keep me on my toes and not just because she's so darn cute.
Tuesday night, I was relaxing (I'm sick) and trying to sleep. I had already put the dogs up in their crates and was watching some Babylon 5 (cause that was what boyfriend was watching--I introduced it to him) and I was just wired. Well, I stood up to hug him and I smelled something awful--like poo.
Initially, I thought it was the meat juice he spilled all over the carpet. So we tried to clean it some more--then Febreeze the crap out of it. Then, on my way to the bathroom, I notice that there was pockets of the poo smell. I walk in one part and it was there then the other and it wasn't there. Finally, I decided to check up on the dogs. Cloud was having some bad gas the day before and I figured maybe something was bothering him. Oh...if only it was so easy....
The light flicks on and there is Freya eating what I smelled in the living room. It wasn't poo, it was vomit--really, really smelly vomit with these weird berry/grape like things. Honestly, where did she find it? I searched the backyard and didn't find it. Anyway, she vomited twice and I ushered her into the bathroom so I could fix her crate up.
I had to throw away her pretty red blanket I bought her as a puppy cause our washer is broken and there's no point dealing with all that mess in the middle of the night. Thankfully, I bought that on sale. I disenfected stuff--nearly got sick myself cause the smell was finally getting to me and I heard a strange sound in the bathroom.
I get to her and she's going at it again--2 more puddles. I put her in the crate in the living room so she won't eat that one and clean that up. From midnight to 2 am in the morning, she was either vomitting or heaving. I stayed up with her the entire time to make sure she was ok and not eating those nasty berries.
I figured she was ok after nothing would come up so I didn't feel the need to rush her to the emergency room. I think I can blame sleep depravation for the week on it too (I have a UTI and I've been waking up every 30 minutes.) I put a bowl of water in the crate and decided to just sleep in the living room with her so I can kind of keep watch.
This morning, she was back to normal and doing zoomies. I called the vet (which by the way, I call all doctors Vets and my doctor laughed at me when I told him how dog crazy I've become) and they wanted to see Freya. Got out of work early, drove and picked her up and she was fine--did a cursory walk in the backyard once more to see if I could find those things she ate and ended up finding her rabies tag! It was on the stoop--the one place I didn't look.
They gave her some fluids, told me to take the water up for 24 hours. Also, no food for the first 24 hours after vomitting and after that white rice or oatmeal. No temperature and she's only 18 pounds! She was a couple of ounces lighter than August when we went for her vomitting (that time was the raw hide.) So the vet trip was really for my sanity than anything else.
That girl, if I don't watch her and hold her paw...will hoover everything in sight even though I do feed her. Heaven forbid I feed her late. Currently, she is on crate quarantine just till she gets better and then she'll go back to the doggy door with her brother Cloud.
Light & Runny Strawberry Jam
20 hours ago